Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Indoor plant starting

This year I finally went out and bought a fluorescent light to start seedlings with. It's just the cheapest hardware store model and only has cool bulbs, which isn't ideal but it's what was available. Below is the set-up right now.




On the left is my desk and on the right my bookshelf; the light is wider than the shelf so it's hung over the bottom shelf and then extends under the desk whe it hangs from a hook I added. I turn it on when I wake up in the morning and off an hour or two before I go to bed.



Because the fluorescent light doesn't get hot it doesn't matter if the plants actually touch the bulb, which helps when you have seedlings of wildly different heights. All of the trays and such are left over from former roommates or buying starts at the farmer's market, with whatever potting soil I had on hand. So far it's definitely working better than putting the plants in the window, even though the window I use is south-facing with shelves directly in it for plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment