Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Street tomato

After finding a pile of ikea bed slats (which are just a bunch of 1x4s cut to 30" long; nice if you don't have a power saw at home) I came up with the crazy plan of building a couple of planters on the front steps, probably for cherry tomatoes since they'll get a fair amount of sun, and also because of this:




That's a photo I took last September of a tiny cherry tomato plant that grew in a crack of the pavement right out front. I had noticed earlier that one of the weeds out front looked remarkably like a tomato plant, but didn't think it actually was one until the fruit showed up. Anyway if that little gal can make it, plants in actual, fertilized soil should do even better, right?

(Be sure to check back next fall when I might have to admit that the concrete is a better gardener than I am.)

No comments:

Post a Comment