Friday, May 24, 2013

Tomato supports

Yesterday I finally started on supports for the tomatoes. This was one of the golden cherries flopped over on Wednesday after some rain.

Golden cherry tomato on lower right.

It had even started curving upwards, though it couldn't have been flopped over for more than a day.

It's on top of some rue, in front, and sage, behind/under the tomato.

The row of cherry tomatoes got two stakes with some twine woven across while the lone cherry tomato (next to the ground cherries) got a rusty old cage. I’m still undecided about the full size tomatoes: I don’t want too many many stakes along the sides, making it even more awkward to reach into the beds, but the cages I have are small and banged up enough that they’re not all that stable. I suspect that if I wait another week the decision will be made for me since the tomatoes will be too big to safely get the cages over them anyway.

The other project was laying newspaper and then branches and leaves over the space between the beds, in the hopes of less mud along that path. There’s no finished photos as this was done between (and during) rainstorms and the camera was safely tucked inside long before I was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment