Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bits and bobs

These days, round three of the beans are coming along nicely.

Two week old provider bush beans
Provider bush beans to the right, nearly 2 weeks after planting.
Edamame plants flowering
Edamame flowering, planted back in July.
I'm hoping for more and bigger soybeans from this batch, since they'll get direct sun. The ones in the back garden have so little sun they don't even reach upwards, instead they just snake around on the ground, lost.

Two more eggplants will be ready soon, maybe even around the same time.

Two eggplants growing on the plant

It's cooled down enough these days I might consider a baked dish, especially if I get one or two more from my CSA.

Here's how the front looks this morning, which mostly differs from last week in that I've moved some plants around. And also a new zinnia bloomed.

Overview of front steps container garden in early August

Next year the front needs more flowers, definitely.

In the back I managed a better picture of my thick and thin cucumbers a couple of days ago.

Oddly shaped cucumbers

Poking around online led to the usual suspects: uneven watering, lack of nutrition, or too much nitrogen. But another possible culprit is uneven pollination of the flowers, which I'd had no idea about. My money is on water though, since I rarely water out back. It's been a wet enough summer that I can get away with it, and watering means standing still for more than 5 seconds which leads to more complete mosquito bite coverage.

Otherwise the back keeps churning out cherry tomatoes, below pictured with the roommate's cat.

This cat doesn't care about cherry tomatoes at all

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my post about the Bob Dylan concert!

    Those tomatoes and eggplants look fabulous! Your compost looks great, too. I started composting earlier this summer, both with a barrel composter (for the chicken poop and yard waste) and a worm bin (for kitchen waste). As the other person who commented on your compost post, I'm partial to my worm bin because it does just fine with a bit of neglect. I do hear your concerns about the winter, though. Maybe you could wrap the bin in straw or insulation? That's what my Mom does with her mediterranean potted plant in Germany in the winter.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking into worm bin ideas, as I'm desperately in need of fertilizer/compost that doesn't involve a lot of money or travel, but in the end it has to be fairly cheap (student budget here) and all materials have to fit through my kitchen window to make it out back. The window is the bigger issue, along with the rickety ladder I use to get up and down, it cuts down on options that are big enough to overwinter.

      Delete