Sunday, August 11, 2013

More sun in back, and a first tomato

This week the neighbors to the west mowed down the weeds along the fence. For reference this is what it looked like earlier in the summer

The back garden on July 29th.
July 29th, two weeks ago.

and what it looks like now.

The back garden on August 11th.
August 11th, this afternoon.

I'm hoping that more sun will help the plants along, especially the herbs at the edge of the sunnier bed which have been shaded by tomatoes and weeds since June. I'm also hoping that more air and less shade makes the backyard a little less hospitable to mosquitoes.

Some of the larger tomatoes are ripening, finally.

Pink tomatoes.

All of the full sized tomatoes in the back are black krims except for this one plant I picked up at the farmer's market. I can't remember what the variety is but I chose it because it said they didn't get too big. They're also meant to be pinkish when ripe, not bright red.

This year I only grew cherry tomatoes out front, since they do better in containers, but next year I might put a couple of larger plants out front. Mid-August is a long time to wait for the first real tomato, for this area at least. I'm also going to beg, borrow, or steal some equipment to prune back the trees, which haven't been touched a couple of years (except for the one taken down after Sandy).

And finally, before I head back outside to enjoy the rest of the day, what we've been picking and eating lately.

Cucumbers, tomatoes, edamame.
Wednesday, August 7th. (Taken at night, so terrible lighting.)
Scallions, tomatoes, berries.
Thursday, August 8th.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, berries.
Sunday, August 11th.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks beautiful! I love the pictures of your harvest--your strawberries look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only wish there were more of them. At least there's enough to add to oatmeal every few days.

      Delete