Friday, July 12, 2013

Front garden update

An overview looking up the steps.

On the steps are strawberries, dill, basil, lemon basil, rue, and some bedraggled marigolds.

Down at the bottom, there are definitely figs happening!


And definitely ground cherries happening.


There's even a little nasturtium flower peeking out under the ground cherry. I'm not sure why this nasturtium is so tragic looking, I figured if it were lacking in sun it'd start inching out over the pot edge but perhaps this is a different type than I've grown before? Anyway so far it's just sat under, growing straight up at a sad rate, while its siblings in my window box have been flowering for the past couple of weeks.

Last weekend I split my rue plant into two pots, one of them is down by the cherries and both are doing well.

Rue.

More tomatoes are ripening, though the Isis don't seem to set nearly as many fruit as the Sun Gold out back. There are also Isis in the back but they've been slower to bloom than the front ones. I suppose in a few weeks or a month I'll know if the sometimes lack of water out front or the size of the container have held these guys back, since by then the back garden plants should have caught up.

Isis Candy Shop cherry tomatoes.

There's also a few eggplant flowers, and I planted some edamame in the pot that used to hold the peas, so I guess those'll be ready in... Octoberish?

Eggplant flowers, a little blurry. The eggplant is the the same pot as the cucumber and seems to be holding its own for now.
Just sprouted edamame, next to the tomatoes.

There's actually edamame that looks ready to harvest in the back, along with a few Sun Gold cherry tomatoes, but the mosquitoes back there make it kind of unfun to visit these days.

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks great - I love ground cherries - so glad your growing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks healthy! We grew Isis Candy in a pot last year, which did really well. This year we moved it to a raised bed, and it's easily our largest tomato plant. I hope yours perks up. I've always loved rue for it's beauty, but I'm not sure what to do with it other than look at it. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear the Isis does well in a container! I think some pruning would help it concentrate less on growing big, bushy leaves.

      I've heard that rue can be good in pickled or fermented things, or in tomato sauce, but not too much as it's strong. I might try it in the next batch of pickles, since I don't really have enough dill anyway.

      Delete