Thursday, July 18, 2013

Portable strawberry bed

Today I put together a new container using a rubbermaid bin (about 14"x20", 10" deep?) I pulled off the street some time ago. First I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom.

Using a 1/2" bit, because that's what was on hand.

Then mixed up some potting mix using coco coir

The coir before water was added. Next to the watering can you can see the "Premium Cow Manure" from Agway. No ordinary manure for me!

and compost, or rather composted cow manure.

This is what premium quality looks like, apparently.

I ended up with a mix that was around 60-70% coco coir, just mixing until it looked and felt right to me.

Partially mixed, I added more coir after this.

I'll see how it works out over the next few days, hopefully it'll hold the right amount of water. I used the white bucket above to mix them at first but I think the next time I'll just add a thin layer of each to the container and then mix it up with a garden fork, repeating until it's full.

Before I filled the bin I placed in some broken pots and plates, and then a bit of plain coir, just to be sure any clumps of compost I missed didn't block the drainage holes.


Then the container was filled, though not to the top. I didn't think it needed that much depth and I didn't want it to be too heavy to lift. As it is, it's still pretty heavy.

With two baby strawberries. In front is my leaf lettuce and current arugula.

In my head this is a portable strawberry bed, but I have to admit it could be difficult getting it down the ladder, or out to the front steps, if I did want to move it to get more sun. For now it'll stay here, with some netting on top.

While I was out back I photographed one of the dragonflies that have shown up this week.

Resting on a mix of cables and dried vine parts.

I spent some time watching a giant one fly around down in the backyard. It seems the damp and shade that make our yard so attractive to mosquitoes is also nice for them.

I also snapped the seed pods forming on the flower stems of my winter arugula.


 I hadn't realized they grew like that, as I've never harvested the seeds before; it's a relief to see them because earlier on I'd torn open a dried flower and was worried there was nothing in there looking like it could form into seeds. Another crisis averted!

No comments:

Post a Comment