Tuesday, July 16, 2013

In the back

Finally, finally, I got around to picking up some bamboo stakes for the tomatoes out back. Of course I still need more but it's, like, 110 degrees or so and kind of a hassle to bike to home depot for more. So this happened in the sunnier bed:

Sunnier bed, with staked up tomatoes at last.

Towards the back you can make out the tips of the 6' stakes and closer to the front are some 5' stakes (there was only one package of 6' ones available). In front are cucumbers, that are climbing over everything, and two eggplants that have barely grown since I transplanted them in... mid-May?

In addition to the cherry tomatoes which have been growing and ripening for a few weeks now, there are real tomatoes too.

In the center, a future black krim.
Also quite a few baby cucumbers, but that's about it. Out front the eggplant has flowered but back here it's still waiting to make its move.

The shadier bed is pretty boring by comparison, since I ripped out all of the brassicas except for two cabbages that started heading up, though I doubt they'll do much.

Shadier bed.

There are still some edamame growing, and a couple of the sweet potatoes towards the fence are getting a little viney, but the middle of the bed is cleared for fall plants.

More stakes are needed for the other bed, which has all of its tomato, and potato for that matter, plants flopped left and right. There are a few staked up in the back row, but the front is a mess.

The bonus bed.
On the left is a literal pile of tomato plant limbs and on the right there's potato plants leaning over the edge of the bed.

I wish there more detailed shots but I started taking pictures after watering which roused the mosquitoes from whatever portal to hell they had been waiting in, so the back garden tour got cut short. However I remembered to take pictures of what I harvested this time!


There's a cucumber, a few cherry tomatoes, and a bunch of unripe ground cherries that had fallen already. I actually harvested a similar size cucumber on Friday, the first this year, but forgot to document until it was halfway eaten. Someday I'll remember to take a photo when I'm bringing in a bunch of herbs and lettuce and scallions and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment